The first community building stood on land at Greensbrook and was known as the Miners Welfare Hall. It was an ex-army hut that had been brought from Weston Super Mare and erected by the miners and villagers in their spare time. The Reverend James Mansfield and Arthur Maggs led the project, supported by the YMCA and with funds raised by Gladys Mansfield, the Rector's wife. The furniture also came from the YMCA and a billiard table and piano were purchased. It was officially opened on 15th May 1920 and became the centre of many village activities.
In 1933 a new hall was built on the current site, for the miners of the village, funded by a levy of a penny per ton of coal. YMCA was incorporated into the hall title in return for the tables, chairs, and other equipment transferred from the old hut. YMCA members and their families were allowed to share the facilities of the new hall. The annual membership fee was half a guinea. (52.5p).
In about 1965 the St John Ambulance took over the lease of the Hall, not without opposition from the few remaining ex-miners who still considered it their hall! The hall was extended during this period.
Another ten years on, there was an attempt by the local branch of the British Legion to take over the lease, but under the auspices of the Charity Commission and agreement with a tenuous connection through a 'miners welfare scheme', the hall became known as Clutton Village Hall, it was agreed that the Miners Welfare stone on the front of the building was to remain.