We are a village hall in the centre of Clutton on the A37 ten miles south of Bristol, Our hall is available for hire it's ideal for functions, parties and groups that would just like to meet with facilities such as kitchen, stage and good sized car park also there is a bar for hire linked to the hall courtesy of Clutton social club if you have any questions or enquiries please use the "contact" link above.
This building, a fore runner of the Miners Welfare Hall stood at Greensbrook on land now developed as The Sidings.
An old army hut was purchased from Weston super Mare and erected by village men and miners in their spare time. It began on 10th March 1920 and was mostly done under the direction of Arthur Maggs & the Rev James Mansfield and the auspices of the YMCA. A great deal of fundraising was headed by Mrs Gladys Mansfield, wife of the Rector.
Furniture was purchased from the YMCA store at Frome and a piano and a billiard table were also purchased.
It was officially opened on 15t May 1920 and became the center of many village activities.
Throughout the following years the building began to deteriorate and a bad storm caused the roof to leak damaging the billiard table.
In 1933, the Miners Welfare Hall was completed in Venus Lane. It was built by use of a grant to the miners of the village and funded from a levy of a penny per ton of Coal. YMCA was incorporated into the title in return for the tables, chairs, and other equipment transferred there from the Hut. This included the billiard table. The new Hall was officially opened at 4.00pm on 14th October 1933. YMCA members and their families were allowed to share the facility of the new hall. Annual membership fee was half a guinea. (Fifty two and a half pence new money)
In about 1965 the St John Ambulance took over the lease of the Hall, not without opposition from the few remaining ex-miners who still considered it their hall. It was extended at this time.
Another ten years on, there was an attempt by the local branch of the British Legion to take over the lease, but under the auspices of the Charity Commission and agreement with a tenuous connection through a 'miners welfare scheme', the hall became known as Clutton Village Hall, but the Miners Welfare stone on the front of the building was to remain.